Yakup Seyer, topless in centre, celebrates a big win for Clapton in the dressing room at Newham FC last season

The Clapton player being probed over a possible late registration has insisted he signed in time – and challenged opponents Hertford Town to settle the FA Vase game on the pitch.

The FA are understood to be investigating whether goalkeeper Yakup Seyer was registered too late for the game at picturesque Hertingfordbury Park on Saturday, which finished 0-0.

It meant the replay at the Old Spotted Dog scheduled for last night was postponed while the FA decide on what action, if any, needs to be taken.

According to the Hertfordshire Mercury, the verdict is due tomorrow. The punishment, if the charge is found to be proven, could range from a fine to expulsion from the tournament.

Yakup came in for the injured Pape Diagne and was arguably man of the match including a penalty save, on his first appearance of the season for Clapton.

However, the former Billericay Town stopper says he has played for no one else since his two games for the Tons last season, and signed the relevant forms BEFORE Friday’s noon deadline.

When asked by Clapton FC News if he knew what was happening, he tweeted: “Unfortunately I haven’t got anything about that. Last club I played was Clapton last year..And I signed everything last week:(”

And he also challenged Hertford to play the replay, rather than accept any possible route to the next round handed to them by the FA on a box-ticking technicality.

Yakup, who used to play in the North Cyprus Super League before moving to the UK, tweeted: “Personally If I don’t win any game on the pitch I will never try to win outside of the pitch. I think they should come to a replay.”

Despite breaking the news on Monday night, Hertford have insisted it was the Essex Senior League and the FA themselves that launched the investigation.

The club’s general manager Loucas Xenophontos told the Mercury: “It’s something the Essex Senior league and the FA initiated – we had no idea there was an issue.”

Both sides have missed out on a four-figure share of gate receipts for the replay on Tuesday, which was set to attract a bumper crowd on the hottest day of the year.

The winner is due to play Brantham Athletic in the next round on September 24.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s